Sunday, January 3, 2010

Small Differences

Just thought I would share this simple difference in culture. We were out of language school this past week for the holidays. Rosa, our Nanny, and her son were at the house one morning. I was cooking egg sandwiches for breakfast and offered them each a sandwich. After eating, Rosa asked what seasoning I put on the egg. I told her only salt & pepper. She replied, "pepper on an egg, I've never had that before. It was really good." The funny thing is that she cooks with pepper all the time!

The people here are very ritualistic. If mama did it this way, then that is the way they are going to do it. They never venture out to try new things on their own. I think it is probably this way because of the Catholic church. Catholics are very ritualistic and do not encourage thinking on your own. Venezuela is 96% Catholic. We have our work cut out for us!!

No comments: